The OW2 Community will be this year again actively represented at OWF. Attend one of the sessions below and/or visit us at the OpenStack/OW2 booth.
Visit the OW2 and OpenStack teams at booth C3!
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS: members from the OpenStack community are welcome to give a help on the booth. Please contact catherine . nuel AT ow2.org. Thank you!
The Future of Open Source Foundations, Thur Oct 3, 11:35am
- *Schedule*: Day 1 in the plenary session after keynote presentations.
* *Theme*: The future of open source foundations.
* *Moderator*: Cédric Thomas, OW2 CEO.
* *Speakers*: Apache Foundation: Bertrand Delacretaz (Adobe/Apache, Switzerland), Philippe Robin (GENEVI), Gael Blondelle (Eclipse Foundation), Stefano Maffulli (OpenStack) , Simon Phipps (OSI), OW2: Gabriele Ruffatti (OW2)
Open Source Communities as Collaborative Innovation Platforms, Opportunities and Challenges, Friday Oct 4, 9:00 - 12:00am
For the sixth year running OW2 organizes the Community Summit at Open World Forum (October 3-5, Paris). The Open World Forum Community Summit is an annual open workshop focusing on the growth and management of open source communities.This year, leaders and practitioners from free and open source software communities will discuss the opportunities and challenges of open source as a collaborative innovation platform. With no cumbersome IP negotiations, no costly contracts, and rules of engagement simply defined by the license attached to the code, open source software is a fantastic mechanism for sharing innovation efforts. Open source creates value and drives innovation in emerging markets such as cloud computing, big data, embedded systems, Internet of things, machine to machine, etc. But in these areas, the industry is increasingly characterized by the raise of complex, highly capital-intensive systems and multi-year innovation programs. Is the game changing for open source communities?
*Confirmed speakers include*: Gabriele Ruffatti (Engineering,Italy), Lars Kurth (Xen/Citrix, UK/Germany), Bertrand Delacretaz (Adobe/Apache, Switzerland), Jim Ahtes (Atos, Spain), Dana Petcu (Rumania), Louis Suarez-Potts (Canada), Roberto Di Cosmo (IRILL, France/Italy), Peter Ganten (Ennovation, Germany), Frederic Aatz (Microsoft, France), Alfredo Matos (Caixa Magica, Spain), Bruno Grasset (Valeo, GENIVI).
Detailed description of the session here
OW2 Conference Track
Open Source on Clouds, Making Cloud Interoperability a Reality, Friday Oct 4, 2:00 to 6:00pm.
This session demonstrates open source technologies that enable users and cloud builders develop interoperable and open cloud solutions. Interoperability in the cloud in a key challenge today; avoiding vendor-lock in, making it possible to easily switch from one provider to another are essential concerns of cloud users today. Interoperability means also the possibility to build hybrid environments, to ensure the portability of data from one cloud to another and to easily orchestrate the management of resources across multiple clouds. However there is more than interoperability and openness. Without open source, proprietary vendors could claim interoperability and openness through compliance with standards in a classic inefficient oligopolistic way.
OW2 is one of the most active in the open cloud field and continuously contributes to the promotion of interoperability across cloud platforms. The community supports several complex open source cloud projects. This session will provide guidance and will showcase state-of-the-art projects and success stories, all multicloud-oriented while leveraging the OpenStack platform and all developed within the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative (OSCi).
We are lining up six presentations showcasing OW2 open source projects and their cloud deployments.
- An OpenStack Federation with CompatibleOne, Jean-Pierre Laisne, CompatibleOne/ Bull, Jamie Marshall, Prologue.
- OW2 ProActive on OpenStack: a real-life case study, Denis Caromel, ActiveEon
- The OW2 Sirocco multi-cloud management framework, Frederic Dang Tran, Orange Labs
- Leveraging OpenStack for high performance clouds, Simon Pasquier, Bull
- A global network of OpenStack Testbeds, Xiaolong Kong, OW2
Open Source in Practice, Friday Oct 6, 2:00 - 6:00pm
In this track, seasoned open source practitioners will share real life experience in developing open source projects and running open source communities. Participants in this track will end up with a solid background in how open source works. Topics covered in depth include how to contribute to an open source project, how to reconcile open source values with business necessities, what makes a project successful, how to grow a community, how to measure it, etc. All presentations are pragmatic, to the point and provide valuable lessons and guidance to attendees.
The speakers list includes:
- Loic Dachary (Upstream University, President)
- Ludovic Dubost (XWiki SAS, President & Founder)
- Charles Schulz (The Document Foundation, Director)
- Stephen Walli (Independent)
- Chris Aniszczyk (Twitter, Head of Open Source)
- Damián Alberto Vicino (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Lic.)
- Stefano Maffulli (OpenStack Foundation, Community Manager)