Where are we now
End of may and beginning of June 2010, a first set of meetings and conference calls were set enabling to OW2 members to show their interest for Open Source Cloudware initiative. You may find the minutes of these meetings here . As you may read, discussions were fruitful with participants from Industry, academy and SMEs and from Europe, China, Brazil, USA, all willing to collaborate.
Based on the inputs, we have elaborated a Collaboration Framework of the initiative has been discussed in July and September by all partners (see minutes July September). This Collaboration Framework is now available here . During these discussions, we initialized an expert group whose missions are to monitor the progress of the initiative and to establish Open Source Cloudware initiative R&D Agenda i.e. vision, state of the art and technological domains.
Next steps consist for the OSCi Expert Group to define the scope and vision of OW2 Open Source Cloudware. This scope and vision is based on well identified technological domains such as "Self-sizing and Green Paas", "Massively distributed services", "Business Intelligence for Clouds" and "Massively distributed clouds", each domain covering a specific aspect of cloud computing for which OW2 OSCi partners are mastering the challenges and for which OSCi Partners are committed to establish connections with 3rd Party Projects or similar initiatives. Discussions are now in progress on OSCi mailing-list to determine for each domain the contributions of OW2 OSCi partners.
How to take part in the Open Source Cloudware initiative
Now that the initiative is launched, the leaders invite OW2 members and non-members alike to take part in the Initiative by submitting contributions.
The protocol for intializing your participation in the Open Source Cloudware initiative is as follows:
1. Subscribe to the mailing list: send an email to sympa AT ow2.org with the following subject: SUBscribe cloud-initiative YourName
2. When subscribed, send an email to the list cloud-initiative AT ow2.org with the following information:
Please feel free to contact us for any question you might have.
Contact jean-pierre.laisne AT ow2.org
- an introduction to your activities in cloud computing,
- your roadmap if any,
- an introduction to your planned contribution to the OW2 OSCi.
The OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiative offers a number of benefits to the partners:
- a market opportunity
- the chance to drive the growth of their OS Cloud solutions in a common direction achieving a great worth
- the involvement in research activities driving innovation
- a facilitation in driving OS Cloud solutions in the emerging countries' markets.
News and events
See the Press coverage about the OSCI initiative launch: go to the "In the Press" section at the end of Press Room page.
- 2010, June 5: Launch of the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative - Press Release (English / French )
- 2010, July 22: OW2 Consortium will Support OpenStack with its Open Source Cloudware Initiative - Press Release
- 2010, May 5-6: OW2 Session at Datacenters and Cloud computing, Paris La Defense (FR)
- 2010, May 20: System@tic Cluster Open Source Cloud conference, Paris (FR)
- 2010, May 25: Sino-French seminar on the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative, Paris (FR)
- 2010, June 8, 10: First Open Source Cloudware Initiative Conference Calls (Minutes)
- 2010, July 13, 15: Open Source Cloudware Initiative Conference Calls (Presentation) ( Minutes )
- 2010, August 18: CONSEGI, Brasilia (BR) - "Open source vs Cloud: the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative" (Presentation)
- NEW 2010, Sept 6 (6:00PM CEST), 7 (10:00AM CEST): Open Source Cloudware Initiative Conference Calls (Presentation)( Minutes )
- 2010, Sept 21: OW2 Cloud Computing Workshop, Beijing (PRC)
- 2010, Sept 30 - Oct 1: Open World Forum, Paris (FR) - Open Cloud Conference
- 2010, Oct 5: IRILL Open Days, Paris (FR)
- 2010, Oct 19: Internet of Services 2010, Collaboration Meeting for FP6 & FP7 Projects, Brussels Belgium (Open Source & Virtualised Service Platform)
- 2010, Oct 26, ITEA & ARTEMIS Co-summit 2010, Ghent,Belgium (Cloud Computing Parallel Session)
- 2010, Nov 23: OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiative Workshop, Paris (FR)
- 2010, Nov 24 - 25: OW2 Annual Conference, La Cantine, Paris (FR)
Challenges and Future Direction of Software Paradigm for Internet as a Computer
by Prof. Hong Mei, Key Laboratory of High Confidence Software Technologies, Ministry of Education School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science, Peking University, Beijing, China meih at pku.edu.cn
Abstract: Internet is becoming an open, global, ubiquitous and smarter computer for our society and planet. Such "Internet as a Computer" requires substantial improvements in software characteristics such as collaborative, situational, autonomous, evolvable and trustworthy, which challenge existing software paradigms, including software model, software middleware and engineering approach. In this talk, a new software paradigm, called Internetware, is presented as a synergy of these future directions.
NEW Logo (draft)