OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative
OSCi Home -
OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiative
Call for participation
Open Source Cloudware initiative is a joint effort of 26 partners from Brazil, China, Europe and USAActiveEon, Bonitasoft, Buaa, Bull, Cvic, Ecole Mines Nantes, Edifixio, Engineering, Fraunhofer Fokus, Ingres, Inria, Iscas, Jaspersoft, Konsultex, Neociclo, Nudt, O-Engine, Orange Labs, Pku, Petals Link, Talend, Institut Telecom, Ucm, Unifor, Usp, xWiki All sharing the same goals:
For openness and freedom in the Cloud, feel free to join us!Open Source Cloudware initiative is open to everyone i.e. OW2 members and non OW2 members from industry, academy or SMEs and to other related open source projects which may enter in synergy with OW2's intiative. Our goal is to build a common vision of what should be an open cloud based on open source and open standards, and to develop key software technologies according to an R&D agenda collaboratively defined. This document will introduce the ideas and rationales which supported the creation of this initiative, the first technological elements composing the bedrock of this initiative and the envisonned roadmap for the coming months.
Why the OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiativeMid-March 2010, the Technology Council and the Board of Directors agreed that Cloud Computing represents a strategic opportunity for OW2. We started an internal discussion, code named JetStream and we decided to launch a new Initiative dedicated to combining our open souce software cloud-oriented community assets. On May 5, we announce the OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiative. Open Source Cloudware initiative (OSCi) is lead by OW2 Strategic Members Bull, France Telecom and INRIA. OSCi is a joint effort set up to help define the future of open source cloud computing:
Where are we nowEnd of may and beginning of June 2010, a first set of meetings and conference calls were set enabling to OW2 members to show their interest for Open Source Cloudware initiative. You may find the minutes of these meetings here . As you may read, discussions were fruitful with participants from Industry, academy and SMEs and from Europe, China, Brazil, USA, all willing to collaborate. Based on the inputs, we have elaborated a Collaboration Framework of the initiative has been discussed in July by all partners (see minutes here). This Collaboration Framework is now available here . During these discussions, we initialized an expert group whose missions are to monitor the progress of the initiative and to establish Open Source Cloudware initiative R&D Agenda i.e. vision, state of the art and technological domains. Next step will consist for the OSCi Expert Group to define the scope and vision of OW2 Open Source Cloudware. This scope and vision will be based on well identified technological domains such as "Self-sizing and Green Paas", "Massively distributed services", "Business Intelligence for Clouds" and "Massively distributed clouds", each domain covering a specific aspect of cloud computing for which OW2 OSCi partners are mastering the challenges and for which OSCi Partners are committed to establish connections with 3rd Party Projects or similar initiatives.
How to take part in the Open Source Cloudware initiativeNow that the initiative is launched, the leaders invite OW2 members and non-members alike to take part in the Initiative by submitting contributions. The protocol for intializing your participation in the Open Source Cloudware initiative is as follows: 1. Subscribe to the mailing list: send an email to sympa AT ow2.org with the following subject: SUBscribe cloud-initiative YourName 2. When subscribed, send an email to the list cloud-initiative AT ow2.org with the following information:
- an introduction to your activities in cloud computing,
- your roadmap if any,
- an introduction to your planned contribution to the OW2 OSCi.
BenefitsThe OW2 Open Source Cloudware initiative offers a number of benefits to the partners:
- a market opportunity
- the chance to drive the growth of their OS Cloud solutions in a common direction achieving a great worth
- the involvement in research activities driving innovation
- a facilitation in driving OS Cloud solutions in the emerging countries' markets.
News and eventsNews
- 2010-05 Launch of the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative
- 2010, May 5-6: , Paris La Defense (FR)
- 2010, May 20: System@tic Cluster Open Source Cloud conference
- 2010, May 25: Sino-French seminar on the OW2 Open Source Cloudware Initiative
- 2010, June 8, 10: First Open Source Cloudware Initiative Conference Calls (Minutes)
- 2010, July 13, 15: NEW Open Source Cloudware Initiative Conference Calls (Presentation) ( Minutes )
- 2010, Sept 30 - Oct 1: Open World Forum, Paris (FR) -
- 2010, Oct 5: IRILL Open Days, Paris
- 2010, Oct 19: Internet of Services 2010, Collaboration Meeting for FP6 & FP7 Projects, Brussels (Open Source & Virtualised Service Platform)
- 2010, Nov 23: Open Source Cloudware initiative Workshop, Paris
- 2010, Nov 24 - 25: , La Cantine, Paris