Software Quality Assurance and Trustworthiness
Our main task for the 2010-2011 season is to improve the perceived quality of the code which is downloaded from OW2. Having good quality code and a good reputation for code is essential for the success and the growth of OW2. It is also essential for the growth of the downloads and the dissemination of the OW2 code.
The efforts will primarily target the mature projects. Our perpective is that the "SQuAT" (Software Quality Assurance and Trustworthiness) has 2 sides:
- concentrate on the quality of the code itself
- concentrate on the IP of the code
To do that, we will endeavour to integrate tools
to help projects produce reports on the quality of the code, and on the quality of the IP. We will incorporate in our governance process the fact that, for a project to be moved from incubation to mature, we will require the project to produce the report on the quality of the code and on the IP compliance.
Code quality will be assessed using the following tools:
- Sonar, a Java-oriented code checking tool
- QualiPSo OMM, a maturity model and assessment methodology from the qualiPSo project. .
We are also evaluating the following resources:
- Methods, processes and tools provided by Trustie OW2 will become a user of the Trustie processes to enhance the quality of our software. This requires the help from Trustie, to discover, understand implement and use the Trustie methodologies and tools.
- Testing by CSTC: this is a service provided by CSTC (China Software Testing Center) as a contribution to OW2. CSTC has some tools to test the code, however, testing code is a difficult and costly task.
IP of the code
IP verification tools to be used (use of these tools by OW2 has been already agreed by tools providers) include:
- FOSSology (license analysis)
- Antelink (source code analysis)
We will require mature projects to publish the reports, and leave the final user the final decision (OW2 is not a certification office). Such tools will be added to the technology infrastructure and integrated with NovaForge.
This programme benefits from help from CSTC, Trustie, Qualipso, Fossology and HP, and Antelink, without which it would not be possible.