Software Quality Action Track
Our main task for the 2010-2011 season is to improve the perceived quality of the code which is downloaded from OW2. Having good quality code and a good reputation for code is essential for the success and the growth of OW2. It is also essential for the growth of the downloads and the dissemination of the OW2 code.
The efforts will primarily target the mature projects. Our perpective is that the "SQuAT" (Software Quality Action Track/Thrust) has 2 sides:
- concentrate on the quality of the code itself
- concentrate on the IP of the code
To do that, we will endeavour to integrate tools
to help projects produce reports on the quality of the code, and on the quality of the IP. We will incorporate in our governance process the fact that, for a project to be moved from incubation to mature, we will require the project to produce the report on the quality of the code and on the IP compliance.
Testing by CSTC
: this is a service provided by CSTC as a contribution to OW2. CSTC has some tools to test the code, however, testing code is a difficult and costly task.
•methods, processes and tools provided by Trustie* OW2 will become a user of the Trustie processes to enhance the quality of our software. This requires the help from Trustie, to discover, understand implement and use the Trustie methodologies and tools.
•tools*, which include Sonar (integrated in NovaForge): we will also be looking at tools and methods delivered by the Qualipso
• IP verification tools to be used (use of these tools by OW2 has been already agreed by tools providers)
• - FOSSology (license analysis)
• - Antelink (source code IP)
• We will require mature projects to publish the reports, and leave the final user the final decision (OW2 is not a certification office). Such tools will be added to the technology infrastructure and integrated with NovaForge.
• WH: code quality is essential. The way OW2 should support high quality of the code should be based on open source, based on a community contributions, in order to aggregate world-wide intelligence. This is a philosophical approach.
• The OW2 Forge is important to support getting high quality software. In a wiki, anybody can contribute his/her idea to build a higher quality document. Similarly, we need a similar platform to support good quality code. We need to provide an approach where contributors can improve the quality. This is a trust platform idea.
• Anybody can create a project, share a component. To obtain the evidence, Trustie wants to play this rule to gather the evidence for ranking of code components. OW2 should get this technology for code ranking, based on evidence, relying on an open platform.
• CT: SQuaT has been informally discussed with projects. We want the go ahead from the board to launch this major quality effort.
• JPL: before we JPL would like to get some feedback from the project. Action items:
• SQuaT to be introduced at the next TC, and the feedback to be reported to the next board meeting.
• Identify possible CSTC tools to use • Identify usage of Trustie tool for quality ranking